Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Directionally Challenged: Africa via Iceland?



When Micah and I decided to embark on our African adventure a world of possibilities opened up in the route that we would take there. A favorite winter time pass time soon became looking up the various airline fares to destinations that would eventually deposit us on the great continent of Africa. We didn't pay too much attention to distances or to the fact that we didn't have an infinite amount of time. Wanderlust took over, and we embarked on a journey that took us as far north as Reykjavik to the tip of South Africa-- not exactly the most logical way to Tanzania!I had an inkling to go to Iceland ever since I read a NY times article about the Icelandic belief in Huldufólk, or Hidden People. I loved the idea of grown men not exactly denying the existence of elves, gnomes and fairies. Iceland soon became a place that I knew that I must one day go.

We were lucky to get a 'free' layover in Iceland for almost a week, and the opportunity to go on one of the most memorable backpacking trips I've ever been on. The out of this world landscapes of Iceland were literally eye popping. I was amazed at beautiful rhyolite mountains that rolled off into the horizon in every color of the rainbow, the way that the ground steamed and bubbled, and the velvety green of the valleys was really too beautiful for words. So without further ado the land of the gnomes...


8 comments:

  1. oh man, looks like the awesome set of Lord of the Rings! Any sign of Legolas? (yes, you have just been subject to a nerd alert) Keep blogging, can't wait to hear more! Miss you! Erin B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds amazing! I'm glad to see you are blogging -- I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray! so beautiful! Did you see any gnomes? ;) i hope so. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. We go back to school tomorrow and you will be greatly missed (and envied!!). Hugs, eh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and beautiful pics! More please!
    Miss you,
    kb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those photos are amazing. It looks like Iceland may have the Karakorum Highway beat in terms of beauty. And I bet you didn't get infested with fleas, either! Hugs to both of you! --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you did that hike! That was my favorite thing in Iceland. Did you see any elfs at Alfvatn? I'd love to hear where else you went. Hope you enjoyed all the hot water everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't be fooled those @!#$%^ Huldufólk, (or Icelandic Gnomes) are not the benign cute little men that hang out in gardens in sock hats hats. They are a scourge!

    One of those guys stole my camera battery charger before we made it off of iceland... which means I no longer can use the coolest camera I've ever had. Growl!
    ,^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Real men see fairies!!! Blahaha! So picturesque and different from anything I've seen. I have many dreams about dark Icelandic landscapes, yet I've never been there before. Maybe it was my past life :)

    Can't wait for more photos to come! How is the camera? (looks great!)

    ReplyDelete